Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm no Interviewee

That's right! I don't do well in interviews, orals, debates or impromptu speeches. Some people think that I'm a good presenter and I speak the language well but now I'm gonna reveal my dark secret.


I CHEATED IN ALL PRESENTATIONS.

Cheated?? How is that possible?

Look, the real deal about presenting or public speaking is not MEMORIZING. And that is what I've been doing all these while. Memorizing my speech. The correct way of presenting is to talk about the title spontaneously. We can prepare the points and ideas that we want to present but not prepare the speech that we want to deliver. That is wrong. So if you ask me what makes a good presenter, I would probably answer... Perhaps a person who has a handful of knowledge, all rounder, very concern about current issues, who speaks the language well and the most important; spontaneousness. Because when you are a natural, if you are smart, nothing could stop you. You say things right, you made your point, your listeners get your message and your're in. That's it!

When I'm well prepared for a presentation, I'll do well. But if I were to be given a topic to talk about there and then, I would be dead meat. And don't be fooled. My nervousness may not be apparent, but I'm actually shivering my butt off right from the beginning till the very end.

Therefore, I'm not a good interviewee. I'm just not the spontaneous type and I don't socialize or blend in easily. What's more I have no knowledge what-so-ever. Even if I do, I'm just too afraid to point it out and I talk too soft, people barely notice that I exist.

Of course when I write this, I wrote what I experienced. Engineering Accreditation Committee was here to accredit our course today. So "lucky" that I was chosen for the interview but thank god it was a group interview. We had really good students especially our seniors and dear Renukha in our group for that interview. They had done sooo much and it was the right thing for Dr. Lai to have chosen Renukha as a last minute substitute. She was a major help to us. If we pass this, Please say thank you to them, please.

If I were to be interviewed on an individual basis, I think most of my answers would be Ahhh.. Errr and I'm sorry, I really don't know! So Thank God, Thank God!

This is not the only time that I screwed up. I think I did quite badly for another interview too, which was long long ago. I knew I din't have quite a fair chance to get that scholarship, but who knows right? If only I did well on that interview, if only I was more bold and competitive, I could have gotten a chance of a lifetime. I wouldn't know right, am I right?

So yeah! I'm no interviewee and I should really be ashamed when people say that I'm a good presenter because I cheated! And I really do not know how I'm going to fair in my job interviews in the future. I don't even know what I'll end up becoming. My future is just so misty. I just can't see it.


10 comments:

juney said...

hey <3
first of all you tried your best.That is commendable. Even the best speakers have jitters moments before their speech, it's just the art of disguising your fear. Some do it better, some don't.

Back to our conversation this aft, you may think i am good at presentation, but actually i am not, i am also v v nervous all the time. but at least you took the time to do the preparation. I have difficulties memorising due to my laziness. :(

You are doing well, sometimes you earn more by not talking much. you absorb more. But to me personally, I think you are doing fine. You are friendly enough. Not everyone likes to approach people to start a conversation. I like to do that on the hand. SO, you have a friendly face, and that makes me attracted to you, and makes me feel like talking to you. get my point? lol in life we complement one another.

My future is as bleak as yours. I almost gave up r mb. you are better, i think you are tougher than me. anyhow, lets come out of this alive together! at least a degree.

thanks for representing us. you were "lucky" indeed. hehe it might be a good experience.

hugs and love,
June.

Anonymous said...

Kingsley: I believe that everyone will make some preparation for a speech or presentation somehow rather.. Its just the different methods of preparations. Look at the ministers and VIPs, most of them stil read script or prepared notes during their speech. So its normal for one to memorize or glance through the script unless u're a born speaker..

So don't take it too hard on urself k... Love ya ...

lilimingi said...

Darling: I know dear. Muaks.

lilimingi said...

June: Now that is a very long comment. Hmmm..
even u din prepare, at least u are spontaneous.

And you are aware of what you say. that is how it's suppose to be in presentation.

haha.. but u see.. i dun blend in well when i'm in the group. i dun talk mar.. they might think that i'm such a stuck up snob or smtg. it's sad. i feel sorry for myself that i cant socialize.

about our future, hmmm.. yes we will still live dun worry. just that, there was one question during the interview. So what are gonna do once you graduate. And it struck me.
Yeah, wat am I gonna do?

Hello Kitty said...

what did they ask? very difficult ar??

juney said...

sometimes i dont! at times i might feel like i am crapping, and almost did the sticking out tongue thing lol.

you can try to talk next time. its something you can learn. but you do talk sometimes. dont worry okay.

honestly, no idea. definitely no masters in science. for now, i only noe i need to work hard and get outof probation. Sit with us next time, there was space today! you dah la kecik, later cant see.ok?
<3

lilimingi said...

june: not tat i dun wan sit wit u all la. is when i late i cant find where u all sit. so jus simply sit belakang lor. but i still can see lar no worries. i try to talk. but i dunno wanna talk wat. n i always realise the things i talk dun make sense. n not attractive. lols..

lilimingi said...

OS: err..they ask alot of questions oso. mostly bout ernvirontment n how u relate it with your course. u can ask renukha. she answered almost all the questions together with tong lip and 2 other senior gals. they really helped alot.

Anonymous said...

I dont agree with some of your opinions, i think not all smart people can talk spontaneously..i'm working in a big company and the executives here are having a hard time presenting...

And you should not give up, life is such that we face many obstacles and problem, only when we go through them can we learn to be a better person, stronger and live a meaningful life..

lilimingi said...

hello there. first of all thanks for stopping by.
it's true that not all smart people talk spontaneously. but all spontaneous ppl are spontaneous. haha..

by telling me that "the executives in a big company have a hard time presenting" is such a relief. Thank you! Mayb I would stand a chance *wink*

Yes I know life goes on, but the problem is... I really dunno what my future will be like and it's really frustrating. it's such a waste of time.

but anyways, thx for ur advice and yes, i will cherish my life and the every bits of it! tank u!

Post a Comment

Capture D' Moments

Your pictures and fotos in a slideshow on MySpace, eBay, Facebook or your website!view all pictures of this slideshow